Compared with non-flame-retardant cable products, flame-retardant wire and cable have unparalleled advantages. The specific aspects are as follows:
Flame retardant wire and cable refers to wire and cable that is flame retardant, retards, and delays the spread of flame along the wire and cable, so that the fire does not expand. Therefore, the flame retardant wire and cable should ensure that the wire does not spread after the fire, or the flame or residual flame can extinguish itself within the limited range and time. The structure of flame-retardant wire and cable is basically the same as that of ordinary wire and cable, except that its insulation layer, jacket, outer sheath and auxiliary materials (such as straps and fillers) may be partially or fully flame-retardant materials. When it occurs, it can slow down the spread of fire, and create favorable conditions for directly and effectively extinguishing the initial fire, and reducing casualties and property losses.
The American Institute of Standards and Technology has conducted convincing tests on representative flame-retardant and non-flame-retardant materials, such as polyethylene and rubber cables. They have tested the fire safety of flame-retardant and non-flame-retardant materials according to several main parameters of flammability, fire rate, heat release rate, toxicity and smoke production through the comparison test of combustion in the laboratory, especially in the physical room. And draw the following conclusions:
1. Flame retardant products can provide 15 times more escape time than non-flame retardant products.
2. The material burned out by the flame retardant material is only 1/2 of the non-flame retardant material.
3. The heat release rate of flame retardant materials is only 1/4 of that of non-flame retardant materials.
4. The total amount of toxic gas of combustion products, such as the equivalent of carbon monoxide, flame retardant products are only 1/3 of non-flame retardant products.
5. There is no big difference between the flame-retardant products and non-flame-retardant products in terms of smoke production performance and smoke production.
The above conclusions indicate that flame retardant materials greatly improve fire safety compared to non-flame retardant materials.